Analysing performance and learning needs
Transform your role from order taker to trusted performance consultant
What have we got here?
Analysing performance and learning needs is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at learning professionals who have a responsibility for responding to the learning and performance requirements of their clients, whether you operate internally as a learning manager, performance consultant, or business partner, or externally as a vendor or consultant.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- determine what need, goal or challenge is driving the requirement for an intervention;
- establish metrics that can be used to measure success in addressing the need, goal or challenge;
- determine how human performance needs to change if the need, goal or challenge is to be addressed;
- determine the cause(s) of the performance gap;
- respond appropriately should there not be any evidence of a requirement for learning or performance support;
- identify the types of learning required and the implications this might have for the design of the solution;
- identify the characteristics of the target population and the implications these might have for the design of the solution;
- identify the logistical constraints and the implications these might have for the design of the solution;
- respond professionally and assertively should the client be pushing you prematurely towards a solution they favour;
- summarise your analysis, determine the type of solution required and provide your client with a value proposition.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is composed of six lessons, each of which includes a short video and an activity to complete. The activities are optional but will help you build your confidence in analysing requirements, particularly in meetings with clients and sponsors at which the parameters for an intervention are often established.
To support you in applying what you've learned, we'll provide you with a range of additional resources, including a reference document and an infographic.
If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.