Data analytics for learning and performance
Use data to uncover needs, compare options, assess progress and determine results
What have we got here?
Data analytics for learning and performance is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at learning business partners, performance consultants, managers and others looking to better exploit the power of data analytics to support learning and performance.
This course is not intended to make you into a data scientist, although it will provide you with many useful techniques. Its prime aims are to make you data literate, so you can take better advantage of the information available to you, and to help you work in an informed way with data specialists.
If you are a data scientist but you have not worked before with learning professionals, you may find useful insights here into the issues your clients will be facing.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- make the case for data analytics in managing learning and performance;
- recognise those situations in which existing data analysis is not adding value;
- recognise opportunities for new forms of data analysis;
- use data analysis to better describe what has happened;
- use data analysis to better understand why certain things have happened;
- use data analysis to forecast future outcomes;
- use data analysis to make recommendations for future action;
- present data in ways that facilitate understanding and decision making.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is made up of seven lessons, including videos and optional activities designed to help you build your skills and confidence. We'll also provide you with resources that you can use for on-going reference.
Optionally, you can complete an assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (3:33)
StartComing to terms with data analytics (5:18)
StartSurveying the performance landscape (5:46)
StartDetermining what has happened (12:08)
StartUnderstanding cause and effect (11:04)
StartMaking predictions (7:47)
StartMaking recommendations (15:04)
StartPresenting your analysis (8:59)
StartPutting your learning into practice