Designing learning solutions
Create world-class interventions that make a real impact on performance
What have we got here?
Designing learning solutions is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at learning professionals who have a responsibility for designing learning solutions to meet the needs of their clients, whether you operate internally as a manager, learning specialist or business partner, or externally as a consultant or designer of learning experiences and resources.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- interpret the information gathered during the analysis phase in terms of its implications for the solution;
- structure a solution in order to ensure effective transfer of learning;
- select appropriate strategies for teaching and learning at each phase in your solution;
- make appropriate design decisions in terms of who the learner needs to work with and when;
- decide when it is necessary to introduce face-to-face elements and when working online would be more appropriate;
- achieve the right balance between live and self-paced elements in your design;
- apply what you have learned to any real-world problem, large or small.
When should I take this course?
Although this course will stand alone, it is designed to ideally follow on from Analysing Performance and Learning Needs.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is composed of seven lessons, each of which includes a short video and an activity to complete. The activities are optional but will help you to build your skills and confidence. We'll also provide you with a wide range of other resources that you can use for further exploration and to support you in applying your new skills, including five case study videos, handouts, worked examples of blended solutions, Q&A videos, infographics and animated explainer videos.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (5:59)
StartStructuring the solution (5:20)
StartSelecting methods – strategies (14:06)
StartSelecting methods - social contexts (10:28)
StartSelecting media – delivery channels (11:03)
StartSelecting media - communication modes (7:15)
StartPulling it all together (6:44)
StartPutting your learning into practice