Everything you need to be the perfect on-job trainer
What have we got here?
Instructing on-the-job is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who conducts training on the job, regardless of your job role. No prior knowledge of teaching and learning principles is required – just a willingness to do a great job of training people in the workplace.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- prepare a job breakdown, listing the key steps in a task and the key points you need to make at each step;
- establish specific, observable objectives for a session of on-job instruction;
- commence a session by preparing the learner, putting them at ease, setting the scene, engaging their attention and building on what they already know;
- explain the task without overloading the learner, demonstrating each step, making use of visual aids and examples, and encouraging questions;
- have the learner try the task for themselves, correcting obvious errors, providing helpful feedback and spreading practice over time;
- follow up, putting the learner on their own, providing access to help, checking that the learner is OK and tapering off support over time.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is comprised of seven lessons, each of which includes at least one video and often an optional activity to complete. These activities will help you build your skills and confidence. You will also be provided with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference, including a quick reference guide and an infographic.
If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.