Supporting online learning communities
Everything you need to build flourishing communities for peer-to-peer learning
What have we got here?
Supporting online learning communities is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who would like to use an online learning community to enhance and extend learning and collaboration. It is important to recognise that for a learning community to be successful, its participants are likely to need support. There is a crucial role to play in keeping content fresh and reliable, encouraging contribution and collaboration, and ensuring that the community develops in the intended direction.
So, whatever role you play in a learning community – and there are many – it is going to be critical to the success of the learning experience. Our aim with this course is to help you to do a fantastic job of supporting learners in a learning community.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- select the right type of community to support your learners;
- identify that roles that you and others need to take in the community;
- establish your presence in the community;
- keep things moving by promoting content and conversation;
- decide when to get involved and when not to;
- pick the right tool for the job.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is comprised of eleven lessons, each of which includes at least one video and sometimes an optional activity to complete. We will also provide you with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference.
If you complete the course, you'll receive a Skills Journey certificate.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (2:12)
StartCommunity purpose (3:30)
StartTools and platforms (2:33)
StartCommunity roles (6:15)
StartEstablishing the community (4:52)
StartPromoting conversation (4:39)
StartProviding engaging content (3:29)
StartManaging formal learning activities (2:09)
StartMaintaining an active community (3:37)
StartCommunity administration (2:10)
StartChecking progress (2:57)
StartPutting your learning into practice