Technical writing for learning
Using technical writing to support work based learning
What have we got here?
Technical writing for learning is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals, available as part of our annual subscription.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who needs to write technical content - whether that's how to videos, user guides, manuals, or performance support materials. Experienced learning professionals will discover how they can apply their existing skills to technical content. Anyone new to L&D will learn useful skills around analysis and design that can be applied not just to technical content, but which will also form a foundation for developing any form of performance support resource.
What will I learn?
This course will cover:
- What technical writing is and how it relates to learning content
- What makes technical writing different to other forms of writing
- The different forms that technical writing can take
- Defining the purpose of the content and fully understanding the audience who will use it
- The importance of subject knowledge and where it comes from
- How to structure technical content and make it as clear as possible
- The various ways to present technical content
- Finally, we’ll take a brief look at tools and then bring everything together into a three-step process for writing technical content
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge. Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is comprised of ten lessons, each of which includes at least one video. We will also provide you with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (3:19)
StartWhat is technical writing? (3:36)
StartForms of technical writing for learning (2:27)
StartSubject knowledge (4:20)
StartPresenting your content (4:17)
StartTools and process (3:29)