The six characteristics of compelling content
Create digital learning content that draws you in and won't let go
What have we got here?
The six characteristics of compelling content is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who expects to play a role in the design and development of any form of digital learning content, whether you will be managing that process, working on a team with specialists or doing it all yourself.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- devise a compelling concept for each piece of digital content that you develop;
- come up with a structure for your content that motivates the learner to maintain attention from beginning to end;
- select the most appropriate media mix for your content, minimising the risk of overloading the learner either visually or verbally;
- use clear, friendly, conversational language for your on-screen text, for voiceover and for dialog;
- use storytelling to bring your content to life and make it more memorable;
- build in stretching yet reachable challenges to encourage your learner to work with your content and enhance their level of engagement.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is made up of seven lessons, each of which includes a short video and one or more activities to complete. The activities are optional but will help you build your skills and confidence. We'll also provide you with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference, including the book The Six Characteristics of Compelling Content.
If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.